UAB GitLab Overview and Registration¶
Welcome to UAB GitLab! This is a UAB-specific GitLab. GitLab is similar to GitHub, but hosted here at UAB on secure servers.
GitLab Use Cases¶
GitLab can be used:
- For reproducibility
- Analysis and software code can be kept in one, central repository everyone can use instead of spread across multiple computers/places.
- Code can be versioned and tracked as it changes over time.
- Software versions can be recorded, virtual environments can be documented, and containers can be recorded to help future-proof analyses.
- GitLab is a central place to create code, edit, and track needed code changes (issues) with your lab and collaborators.
- Multiple people can use, modify, and merge changes in code while communicating with the broader team all along the way.
- Unlimited private repositories for internal code projects.
- Set behind UAB authentication.
For Software Developers (and Researchers!)¶
UAB GitLab is useful for software developers. It is a single application for the entire software development lifecycle. From project planning and source code management to continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD), monitoring, and security.
Our GitLab instance may be found at https://gitlab.rc.uab.edu.
UAB GitLab Registration¶
UAB-Affiliated Researcher Registration¶
If you are a UAB affiliated researcher and have a BlazerID, you may create an account by logging in at the site above using the
ldap tab. Please use your single sign-on (SSO) credentials.
Please use BlazerID and password instead of UABMC credentials
Please use your BlazerID and BlazerID password for UAB GitLab. UABMC credentials are a different sign in system and will likely not work. Central IT groups like Research Computing do not have a way to access UABMC credentials.
UABMC Researcher Registration¶
Please use your BlazerID and BlazerID credentials to sign in following the directions for UAB-Affiliated Researchers. UABMC credentials should not be used for UAB GitLab.
XIAS External Collaborator Registration¶
If you are a collaborator with a XIAS account you'll need to follow a different procedure.
- Ensure that your sponsor has included
https://gitlab.rc.uab.eduin the list of approved URIs on the XIAS configuration page.
- Email email@example.com providing your full name, XIAS account email address, and sponsor.
- UAB Research Computing will create the account.
- You will recieve an email from gitlab.rc.uab.edu with a link to create a password.
- Navigate to https://gitlab.rc.uab.edu.
- Click the
- In the
Username or emailfield type the part of your XIAS email address before the
@symbol. Do not include the
@symbol or anything after it.
- Fill out the
Passwordfield with the GitLab password you created in Step #4.
XIAS account researchers can only be granted access if their sponsor adds the GitLab URL to the list of approved URIs. Please see XIAS Sites for more information.